Start the path to enhancing literacy today
The Tuscarawas County Literacy Coalition is a non-profit organization comprised of groups and individuals dedicated to enhancing traditional literacy as well as cultural, financial, medical and technological literacy for all Tuscarawas County residents. We promote public awareness and work collaboratively with local educators, literacy service providers, business, community and ministerial organizations to support and initiate programs that work toward the goal of enhanced literacy. Visit the donation page if you would like to become a member or submit a donation.
Check us out on Facebook!
Follow us and keep up to date with the newest TCLC news on our Facebook page here!
- March 1 - March 30 – Book Drive for Tuscarawas County Jail Library (Drop off donations at all public libraries in Tuscarawas County)
- May 12 - Annual Celebrity Spelling Bee at Kent State Tuscarawas - 6:00 PM
- July 30 - Community Shred Event at First Federal Bank on the Boulevard in Dover - 10:00 AM - Noon
- November 7 - One Book, One Community: Meet Author Jason Wright at Kent State Tuscarawas - 7:00 PM
Statistical Figures for Tuscarawas County
Tuscarawas County consistently shows a high rate of families living at or below the poverty level and an increasing rate of unemployment. 19.7%* of county residents 25+ years of age, have not obtained their High School diploma or equivalent. 47%* are at a Level 1 or Level 2 reading level by the National Adult Literacy Survey.
Persons functioning at Level 1 may be unable to do such things as:
- Make change following a purchase
- Write and record a check
- Provide homework help for their child
- Create a home budget
- Gain employment
Persons functioning at Level 2 may be unable to do such things as:
- Fill out forms for medical or legal purposes
- Follow directions (maps, procedure manuals, medication dosage, etc.)
- Manage a bank account and finance major purchases
- Understand credit card terms
In addition, many individuals who DO have adequate reading and computing skills would welcome the opportunity to improve their medical, legal, financial and computer literacy. The TCLC is dedicated to supporting ALL types of literacy needs.
"Getting my GED has opened the door to opportunity. It has given me a chance to further my education and make my life better."
Beckie, Tuscarawas County